Topic: Distributing SIS files without symbian signed

Hi,

This is an off-topic question I guess...

Just wanted to find out if it is possible for me to distribute applications that are not symbian signed?
I'm using the UID that are recommended for testing purpose in SWF2GO.

My users do not require the application to be symbian signed.

What are the issues that might occur?
- Similar test UID conflicts?
- Cannot work on some devices?

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Distributing SIS files without symbian signed

Hello Tyler,

not an off-topic question smile

There's no need to get Symbian Signed if you don't want to. Symbian Signed gives your users a trust that application is well tested, and will work as aspected. it is also required when your application uses advance capabilities of S60 platform.

SWF2Go compiles SWF launcher and SIS that uses user grantable capabilities. so, you wish not to get your application Symbian Signed, you can go ahead with Self Signing.

i have posted about this on my blog:
http://www.orison.biz/blogs/chall3ng3r/?p=193

test UIDs are not suggested for final distributions, as there might be chance of conflict. you can register free on www.symbiansigned.com and get UIDs from there, and its free as well.

Self Signed applications works fine on all S60 3rd Edition devices. but to install Self Signed applications, users have to set Software Install permissions to All on thier device, which i found is set to All most of the times smile

best,

// chall3ng3r //

Thanks again for the quick response!

Hmm.. ok I managed to generate my own cert using makekeys.

I've also signed up in Symbian signed.

Some questions:
- Do I select UIDs for Symbian OS v9 or older? (Seems alot of changes in OS V9....)
- I guess self-signed means it is considered protected?

Thanks!

hi,

good to know that.

for your questions,
1) signing is required only by S60 v9 and later. so you should request UID from suggested range.
2) yes, any sort of signing (selfcert, devcert, symbcert) makes your application into protected UID range.

to find our more about UIDs read the UID FAQs on symbiansigned.com

best,

// chall3ng3r //