Topic: Memory problems when launching my application

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure this is a SWF2Go problem or some strangeness of Symbian Series 60, but it's causing my Flash Lite 3 application to run out of memory on all Series 60 devices.

Basically I have a Flash Lite 3 application that plays FLV video. This naturally consumes a fair amount of memory. I am however careful to ensure that I don't consume anymore than around 75% of the ~4 Mbytes dynamic heap that is available to my application on the Nokia N95 8GB.

Now when I test my SWF in Device Central or run it from my phone's Flash Player (the one that can usually be found within the phone's Tools or Applications folder depending on your device) on my Nokia N95 8GB, it runs fine, and outputting the available memory to a text field in my SWF shows that I have approximately 4 Mbytes of RAM available to begin with.

However when I use SWF2Go Professional to create a .sis file and then install the application, I suddenly only have 2 Mbytes of RAM when the application is launched, compared to the 4 Mbytes that is available when run directly from the phone's Flash Player!!!

I've repeated the test with a simple SWF file that contains only a text field which I am using to continually re-display the available RAM. Again it seems that when I run the SWF directly from the phone's Flash Player I have 4 Mbytes available, whereas only 2 Mbytes is available when installed via the .sis file and launched.

I've also tested the .sis file on various Nokia devices on Nokia's RDA site and again I run into the same problem.

Is this an issue with SWF2Go and is there a work around? My application really needs that additional 2 Mbytes to run - there's simply no way to optimise my application further and I have spent considerable time developing this application.

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: Memory problems when launching my application

Hello Christopher,

Sorry about a bit delayed reply.

SWF2Go v2 assigns the exact same memory as FL3 Developer Edition did, to produced S60 executables.

Here are the details:
Static Heap: 0x100000 (1mb)
Dynamic Heap: 0x1000000 (16mb)
Stack Size: 0xA000 (40k)

FL player automatically increases memory quota upto maximum allowed (16mb) as per required for the playback of the content.

If you could send me the application via email, I will be able to find the cause of the issue in detail. And for sure be able to help you further.

Best regards,

// chall3ng3r //

Hi!

We have been experiencing the same problem with a FL 2.1 app that works fine from SWF player / inbox but runs out of memory/red blocks when running from SWF2GO installed SWF (on N95).

Any resolution? To me it seems that the memory behaviour is indeed different, or is the player being called in a different. This same SWF runs fine on an S40 device.

Stefan

Hello Stefan,

You are correct. Nokia have changed the way initial version of FL2 and FL3 allocated memory.

We are aware of this and working on an update which will be released soon (within couple of weeks).

If you are in real hurry, you can send your SWF app to us with App Name and UID, and we will make a SIS for you from our latest internal build of SWF2Go.

Best,

// chall3ng3r //

Hi!

Thanks for that, we have quite a few applications we need to sign, so we will wait for the update, please let us know when available!

Thanks again, this is great news!  cool

Stefan

With a SISX that we compiled ourselves this week we didn't experience any of the memory problems - any luck resolving, we really don't want to go back to compiling the old-school way.

Hi Stefan,

We are trying to get hold of someone on tech team from Nokia to have definite answer. I will update update you as soon as we get this issue fixed.

We always send out SWF2Go updates to customers before making public announcements, so they can get the best before everyone else smile

Best regards,

// chall3ng3r //

Hello all following this thread,

Finally today, I got a response from a very nice friend (Riku) at Nokia.

He told me that there's a memory allocation bug in Flash Lite 3.0 on S60 5th Edition devices, which makes any memory settings in stub launcher obsolete. Nokia is aware of this bug.

The only solution to avoid this is to upgrade your device's Flash Lite 3.1 via firmware upgrade. I believe all S60 5th Edition devices already have firmware update available. The Nokia 5800XM being the first 5th Ed. device, and I already have FL3.1 on it via firmware update.

If users of your applications compiled with SWF2Go are having similar issues, ask them to upgrade their device to latest firmware.

The applications submitted for Symbian Signed should also pass through if you mention the application works with FL3.1. You can also mention of FL3.0 bug just in case.

We are now full speed on getting SWF2Go update to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

// chall3ng3r //

Hi chall3ng3r

This is great news! Just to let you know, we have been able to manually compile SIS files for 5th edition devices that don't have the memory problems, I can have our Symbian guy get in touch with you to let you know what procedures he went through.

It's good to know that there is a bug, (thanks Riku!) but I don't feel it's a final solution to tell users to upgrade their Flash Lite player, especially if we seem to be able to resolve the memory isssues with a manually compiled SIS.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan,

Yeah, that would be great as well. It's always good to work together to resolve issues which target bigger audience.

And some additional info Riku shared in his followup email.

Flash Lite v3.1.4 can be updated over the air to the following:

• 5800 XpressMusic

• 5530 XpressMusic

• X6

The rest of 5th edition devices get Flash Lite 3.1.7 through Firmware update.

// chall3ng3r //

Ah so that means N97 and N97-mini users have to use the desktop app... good to know.  yikes